Why is it important to find a pediatrician?
Finding a qualified pediatrician is one of the most important decisions you'll ever make. Of course, it's possible to change doctors later on, but if your newborn develops a fever or illness, they must receive prompt attention. Researching pediatricians during your pregnancy is a smart way to plan for your baby's future.
An infant's immune system is not fully mature, which can make them more vulnerable to illness. If your newborn has a qualified pediatrician, they are more likely to receive prompt and appropriate care for underlying illness and, thus, less likely to experience serious or life-threatening complications.
What questions should expectant mothers ask a potential pediatrician?
When selecting a pediatrician, it's important to consider a variety of factors, including the doctor's location in proximity to your home, the cost of services provided, and if the pediatrician accepts your insurance.
During your initial consultation at Pediatric Associates, Inc., you might also want to ask questions like:
- Who should I contact if I need advice after hours?
- In which hospitals do the pediatricians take care of patients?
- How long does a typical appointment take?
- Will I always see the same doctor?
- Do the pediatricians discuss infant and child development?
- Do the physicians provide active parenting advice at well-child visits?
You can also ask questions directly related to your child's health. If you know you're having a baby with a genetic abnormality or other condition, you can learn more about the steps Pediatric Associates, Inc. takes to provide quality pediatric care.
What happens during a consultation for expectant mothers?
At Pediatric Associates, Inc., a consultation for parents searching for the pediatric home that fits their family begins with a thorough discussion of you and your family's unique needs. Of course, you want to choose a pediatrician with experience and training, but you also want your personalities to complement each other.
One of the best ways to determine if Pediatric Associates, Inc. is a good fit for your family is to ask questions about their treatment methodology. These questions might include:
- What is your philosophy on immunizations?
- How do you feel about prescribing antibiotics?
- What is your opinion on alternative medicine?
- How long should I breastfeed my baby?
- Every parent has different opinions on these subjects. If your views align with your pediatrician, it's probably a good fit.
To schedule an expectant mother's consultation at Pediatric Associates, Inc., call the office or book online today.